Tuscaloosa County EMA Warns Against Parking Decks As Shelters
As storms approach West Alabama, the Tuscaloosa County EMA sent out a warning regarding storm shelters in the area.
The Tuscaloosa County EMA posted a message on their Facebook page saying, "If you are in need of a storm shelter DO NOT go to DCH's parking deck! Parking decks offer ZERO safety from a tornado's violent winds."
The post featured what the Tuscaloosa County EMA called a random photo and not a photo of the DCH parking deck.
In a separate post, the Tuscaloosa County EMA stated that they recommended all public storm shelters open. On their website, they posted a list of open storm shelters in the area. They also posted other open shelters in the area that weren't listed on their website.
- Paul W. Bryant High School, 6315 Mary Harmon Bryant Dr. Tuscaloosa AL 35405
- Skyland Elementary, 408 E. Skyland Blvd Tuscaloosa AL35405
- University Place Elementary, 2001 1st Ave Tuscaloosa AL 35401
- Tuscaloosa Magnet School, 315 E. McFarland Blvd Tuscaloosa AL 35404 (The shelter is located on the north side of the school.)
- Alberta School of Performing Arts, 2700 E. University Blvd Tuscaloosa AL 35404
- Northridge High School, 2901 Northridge Rd Tuscaloosa AL 35406 (To access the shelter, drive all the way around the back of the school to the cul-de-sac. The entrance is on the right.)
If a tornado warning is issued in our area, Townsquare Media Tuscaloosa Operation Storm Watch will provide you with live and local team coverage, including wall-to-wall weather with James Spann.
Ways to Receive Severe Weather Information
Severe Weather Terminology You Should Know
Top Stories from the Tuscaloosa Thread (3/7 - 3/13)