20 Alabama High Schools Ranked Among the Nation’s Best in 2013
Newsweek and The Daily Beast released its top 2,000 high schools in America and 20 Alabama schools made the list. Of those 20, however, there wasn't a single school from the West Alabama area.
According to the rankings, the list is compiled from six different components. Here's how it breaks down:
- Graduation rate (25 percent)
- College acceptance rate (25 percent)
- AP/IB/AICE tests taken per student (25 percent)
- Average SAT/ACT scores (10 percent)
- Average AP/IB/AICE scores (10 percent)
- Percent of students enrolled in at least one AP/IB/AICE course (5 percent).
Taking all of these factors into consideration, the two publications have determined that Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky has the best high school in America. The highest ranked school in Alabama is Jefferson County International Baccalaureate School - Shades Valley in Irondale.
Take a look at the full list of the Alabama schools: