United Way of West Alabama Pie Eating Contest Is Back, With a Twist
You may say that the United Way of West Alabama Pie Eating Contest is back... with toppings! That's right, fundraisers will eat pizza pies this year instead of lemon icebox!
Heat Pizza Bar will be supplying the pizza this year as pie eating contestants chow down for one of United Way's partner agencies. It all happens on Thursday, May 19th from 5-6:30 at the new location of Heat Pizza Bar in Government Plaza.
Here’s how it works… Each of the contestants will pick the partner agency of their choice. You buy tickets, then give your tickets to the contestant or charity of your choice to help them win! Once the pie-eating begins, contestants must keep their hands behind their back for the first 30 seconds of the contest, assuring a nice, messy Facebook profile pic! Once that time passes, they’re free to use their hands to continue eating and to drink water.
Here's a list of this year's participants and their chosen charity:
- Scott Powell for Alabama Head Injury Foundation
- James Cochrane for American Red Cross
- Chris Brubeck for The Arc of Tuscaloosa County
- Brian Groeschell for Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Jay Kasten for Boy Scouts of America, Black Warrior Council
- Chris Graham for Boys & Girls Club
- Richard Ahlquist for Caring Days
- Tianna Brubeck for Easter Seals
- Nathan Cordle for FOCUS on Senior Citizens
- Jacobi Robertson for Girl Scouts
- Ben Vining for Good Samaritan Clinic
- Thomas Powe for Phoenix House
- Zac Snider for Salvation Army
- Ryan Stallings for Sickle Cell Disease Association
- Garrett Powe for Temporary Emergency Services
- Jennifer Naves for Turning Point
- Lindsey Case for Tuscaloosa's One Place
- Graham Jones for West Alabama AIDS Outreach
- Patricia Powe for YMCA
Tickets are available in advance or at the door. $10 door fee = 10 tickets. If you're feeling confident in your favorite pie eater, feel free to buy more!
You can make an online donation here as well!
Stick around for dinner after the contest with specials on food & drinks! It all happens at Heat Pizza located at 600 21st Ave. in Government Plaza.