Who Is Kay Ivey? 10 Things You May Not Have Known About Alabama’s New Governor
Dr. Robert Bentley resigned from the State’s highest office yesterday, and now Kay Ivey is the new Governor of Alabama. Who is Kay Ivey? Here are 10 facts about our state’s new Governor.
1. She’s from Wilcox County, Alabama. Governor Ivey was born in Camden, which is a little over an hour away from Montgomery.
2. Ivey 72; her birthday is October 15.
3. She received her degree from Auburn, where she was also a member of Alpha Gamma Delta.
5. Ivey worked as a high school teacher, a bank officer, and the Assistant Director of the Alabama Development Office.
6. She was elected State Treasurer in 2003; she was the first Republican elected to the position since Reconstruction.
7. Ivey was responsible for making sure the public is able to see Alabama’s financial information; she ensure the State’s sources of revenue and its expenditures were listed online.
8. During her tenure as Treasurer, she saved the State an estimated $5 million.
9. She is currently a Republican; however, she began her political career a
10. Kay Ivey becomes the second woman to serve as the Governor of Alabama.