Mule Kick 5K Race in Gordo Saturday for Double Lung Transplant Survivor
Join us Saturday morning (June 4) for the annual running of the Mule Kick 5K in Gordo, Alabama to support Libby Hawkins, a double lung transplant survivor.
Libby is a brave young lady from Gordo who was diagnosed at 2 years old with cystic fibrosis (CF). Over the years, the now 22 year old has been in and out of the hospital going through 23 surgeries.
Back in April of this year, Libby received a call from Duke's transplant team "that she would receive a life saving double lung transplant. After months of waiting, Libby underwent a six hour surgery, and is now breathing, talking, and laughing with her two new lungs." A procedure costing $500,000.
Her journey does not end there, the rehabilitation will go on for a long time. The medical expenses for the family will continue.
We wish Libby all the best and invite you to spend a few bucks at a 5K this weekend to show your support. The course is flat and fast. Walkers are welcome at the event which kicks off Saturday at the Mule Day Festival!
Mule Kick 5K Quick Facts:
- 6:30AM - Registraion
- 8:00AM - Race Starts (in front of FNB of Central Alabama in Gordo)
- $25 entry fee (or $15 for the 1-mile Fun Run)
- Awards for the top overall and age group finishers
- T-shirt for participants
- Complimentary water, Gatorade, bagels and fruit following the run
- All proceeds will support Cystic Fibrosis #LungsForLibby (click here for more)
- An official Tuscaloosa Track Club Grand Prix Event