Blood Donors Wanted: ‘Laps for Life’ Blood Drive at Talladega Superspeedway
On September 11th, blood donors get a pace car ride, tickets to fred's 250, a tour of the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, possible prizes, and lunch!
While over 80 people already pre-registered for Talladega Superspeedway’s annual American Red Cross “Laps for Life” blood drive on Thursday, Sept. 11, there are still plenty of spots available to not only support a great cause, but to also experience a high-speed ride around NASCAR’s biggest and baddest track in the venue’s official pace car.
The event, which is set from 12-6 pm in the FOX Sports Dome at the International Motorsports Hall of Fame just outside Talladega Superspeedway, gives blood donors the rare opportunity to experience the 33-degree banking on the 2.66-mile track - like drivers Dale Earnhardt, Jr., Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, Danica Patrick and others will feel when they return in October for the GEICO 500.
The ride around the track is icing on the cake as donors will be treated to an incredible day at Talladega Superspeedway during “Laps for Life,” which began in 2007. In addition, afternoon activities include a tour of the track and the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, as well as the chance to take home great track items and prizes. The first 100 donors will receive a Goody Bag including unique American Red Cross and TSS items.
To register online go to redcrossblood.org and enter the sponsor code: talladega. Follow instructions on the website to complete registration. As another incentive, all “pre-registered” donors will receive two complimentary grandstand tickets to the fred’s 250 Powered by Coca-Cola NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race at Talladega Superspeedway on October 18 which gets a noon CT start.
On Thursday there will be five Pit Stops for participants to move through to complete their Laps for Life. The afternoon agenda for participating donors will include the following:
- Donors will be issued a credential at Pit Stop 1, “Draw For Qualifying” at the Dome where participants will register to have blood drawn for donation, thus qualifying them for the rest of the adventure.
- After giving blood and/or registering participants will move on to Pit Stop 2, “Souvenir Row,” where they’ll receive a goody bag filled with special items to commemorate the occasion.
- From there, they’ll move to Pit Stop 3, “Driver’s Meeting,” to learn more about the history of motorsports by taking a free tour of the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Afterward, participants will venture outside to board the tour bus and be transported to the infield for a track ride around Talladega Superspeedway for Pit Stop 4, “Type Testing.”
- Pit Stop 5, “Concession Stand/The Donor Diner,” will be located outside the Dome where they will enjoy a Smoke N Hot BBQ Sandwich, Golden Flake potato chips.
Alicia Anger, External Communications Manager for Alabama and Central Gulf Coast Blood Services said,
Hospital patients continue to need lifesaving blood this fall, and they’re relying on the generosity of volunteer donors to give them hope in the days and weeks ahead. Please, consider giving the gift of life. Each day donations come up short, less blood is available for patients in need – and you never know when it could be your loved one needing blood.